Spanish/Cultural Immersion Itinerary
Spanish/Cultural Immersion Trip in Costa Rica with Ann Becker (Co-Ed)
Most recent trip: June 14 – 21, 2015
CENTRAL VALLEY (four nights)
- Arrive at Juan Santa Maria International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica and transfer to the nearby community of Tres Rios and your Tico host family.
- Increase your Spanish knowledge (all language levels welcome: beginner through advanced), confidence, and fluidity through 25 hours of mini-group lessons (directed to your learning goals) and programmatic activities. Our headquarters will be Personalized Spanish, a small boutique school with an outstanding track record for creating effective immersion experiences with plenty of time and space for individualized attention.
- Experience firsthand the cultural warmth and embrace of your host family – located within easy walking distance of school. Your home stay experience is a great opportunity to practice your Spanish skills in daily living situations, especially around eating the traditional “gallo pinto”, sampling delicious tropical fruits and drinking coffee Costa Rican style. Learn more about the family and social lives of Costa Ricans, and make cross-cultural friendships that can last a lifetime.
- Enjoy daily cultural activities that are interactive, informative and fun. Highlights include a San Jose historic walking tour topped off with a tasty stop at the Central Market’s famous Helado do Sorbetera; visiting with a local artist at a special Tres Rios gallery; and creating and partaking in a traditional Tico meal and fiesta with our host families.
Accommodations: Home stays arranged by Personalized Spanish, Tres Rios, Costa Rica Meals included: 6/14 D; 6/15 B, D; 6/16 B, L, D; 6/17 B, D; 6/18 B
OSA PENINSULA (three nights)
- Settle in at a small, family-owned lodge in the community of Drake Bay on the Pacific Ocean. Hear family stories about growing up in Drake and visit one of its newest additions, a butterfly garden, home to more than 25 local species and the first of its kind on the Osa.
- Join Javier, our outstanding guide and long-time colleague, on a day trip to Corcovado National Park, the “crown jewel” of Costa Rica’s famous national park system and one of the most biologically diverse regions of the world. Our destination will be Sirena, the largest interior ranger station and considered by many to be the heart of Corcovado. In addition to a spectacular boat ride along the untouched coastline, our Corcovado hike will include spectacular flora and fauna, including a once in a lifetime opportunity to potentially see, in their natural habitat, the endangered squirrel monkeys, wild peccaries, and the tapir, the largest land mammal in the Central American rain forest.
- Our second tour will be a guided boat trip through the beautiful Terraba-Sierpe National Wetlands, including the largest protected mangrove area in Central America. This popular boat tour also offers myriad opportunities for spectacular bird and wildlife viewing.
- Meet Ann’s good friend, Pedro Rojas Morales, from the indigenous community of Boruca. Talk with Pedro and learn about the history, culture and extraordinary mask making and textile artisanship of the Borucan people.
- Pick your pleasure: “On your own” optional activities include a zip line tour through the rain forest canopy; guided bird and night walks; a rainforest massage; and relaxation time at the beach.
- Enjoy a festive final group dinner to celebrate our accomplishments and toast to the memories.
Accommodations: Rancho Corcovado, www.ranchocorcovadocr.com Meals included: 6/18 L, D; 6/19 B, L; 6/20 B, D; 6/21 B
The trip concludes on June 21 in San Jose. Plan to depart Juan Santa Maria International Airport after 2:00pm to return home.
OPTIONAL PRE-TRIP PROGRAM
Zapote Agricultural Market and Cartago, Costa Rica’s Original Capital (June 14, 2015–one day only)
- Visit the Zapote Agricultural Market, the oldest and largest farmers’ market in the Central Valley; interact directly with the farmers and their families.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour of Cartago, Cosa Rica’s first capital; explore the new City Museum; see the magnificent Basilica de Nuestra Senora de los Angeles.
Accommodations: Homestay Meals included: 6/13 D; 6/14 B, L B
|Spanish/Cultural Immersion Trip Reserved BEFORE March 31, 2015||$2,595|
|Spanish/Cultural Immersion Trip Reserved AFTER March 31, 2015||$2,795|
|Single Accommodations – Very limited in number; Available on a “first come, first served” basis||$300|
|Zapote Agricultural Market and Cartago Optional Pre-Trip||$135|
Spanish/Cultural Immersion Trip Price includes:
Spanish/Cultural Immersion Trip Price does NOT include: