13th Annual Wonderful Women Trip
Costa Rica/Nicaragua Combo Adventure with Ann Becker
February 7 – February 17, 2018
- Guided hikes / wildlife viewing in Costa Rica’s Carara & Los Quetzales National Parks
- A small town homestay and cultural activities with a local Tico family
- Volunteering in a rural community conservation project
- Spotting colorful tropical birds in diverse habitats
- Visiting Ometepe, home to two Nicaraguan volcanoes and more than 1700 petroglyphs
- Enjoying the history, culture and colonial style architecture of Granada
- Optional activities: pre-trip Spanish Immersion program, zip lining, massage, biking, horseback riding, and early morning bird walks
- Sharing and celebrating experiences with an amazing group of women
If you are interested in registering for this trip, please contact Ann Becker.
TRES RIOS, COSTA RICA (Feb 7- Feb 8, 2018; one night)
Arrive at Juan Santa Maria International Airport in the capital city of San Jose. Transfer to our hotel in nearby Tres Rios. Relax by the pool and begin to get acquainted with fellow travelers. Enjoy our welcome gathering and dinner in a local home.
Accommodation: Hyatt Place San Jose/Pinares
SAN PEDRO, LOS SANTOS REGION (Feb 8 – Feb 10, 2018; two nights)
With long-time Wonderful Women guide and good friend, Alex Alvarez, we head south to one of Costa Rica’s top coffee growing regions to immerse ourselves in local Costa Rican life for two days and nights. All our activities are coordinated with Santos Tour, a local non-pro t organization working on an array of socio-economic and environmental projects in collaboration with more than 70 families from local communities.
- Experience firsthand family life with a Tico homestay.
- Volunteer on a community conservation project.
- Explore the cloud forest and hike in Costa Rica’s newest national park, Los Quetzales.
- Perhaps we’ll have a chance to see one of the majestic, brilliantly colored birds for which the park is named.
- Prepare and enjoy festive activities with our host families.
Accommodation: Santos Tour
COSTA RICA’S CENTRAL AND NORTHERN PACIFIC REGIONS (Feb 10 – Feb 13, 2018; three nights)
Winding our way via private coaster bus, we’ll experience more of Costa Rica’s distinct micro-climates that contribute to its overall biodiversity.
- Hike in the transitional forest of Carara National Park, home to magni cent trees that are often a popular nesting location for scarlet macaws.
- Enjoy an afternoon mangrove and river boat tour with ample opportunity to spot reptiles and an abundance of shore birds
- Relax in a natural spa with natural springs and a volcanic mud bath.
NICARAGUA, THE ISLAND OF OMETEPE (Feb 14 – Feb 15, 2018; one night)
We will cross the border over land into Nicaragua (all part of the experience) and then travel by ferry to Ometepe, the Island of Circles and Spirals. Set inside a tropical fruit plantation, our base here will be Finca San Juan de la Isla Hotel. It offers stunning views of Ometepe’s two towering volcanoes and has a laid-back authentic ambience.
- Learn about Ometepe’s rich archeological history from a resident expert and visit El Ceibo, a museum with an outstanding local pre-Colombian collection of art and artifacts.
- Enjoy a Nicaraguan rum-tasting.
- Explore more of the island on bike or horseback or relax on your bungalow porch and relish the lovely lakefront breezes.
- Accommodations: San Juan de la Isla
NICARAGUA: GRANADA (Feb 15 – Feb 17, 2018; two nights)
We will conclude our travels together at the award-winning Hotel Plaza Colon in the heart of Granada, home to some of the nest colonial-era architecture in the country.
- Enjoy an evening tour of the nearby Masaya Volcano.
- Learn about the colorful history and culture of Granada on a walking tour with our local guide, David Rosales.
- Pick your pleasure. Options include ziplining, Granada’s International Poetry Festival, and shopping for Nicaraguan pottery and other handicrafts.
- Join fellow travelers for a festive final dinner to savor the trip’s special moments and celebrate the friendships.
Accommodations: Hotel Plaza Colon
Depart Managua’s Augusto C. Sandino International Airport on February 17.
Send me an email if you want to know more about registering for the trip: email@example.com.
Our Trip Info Packet includes the itinerary, what to expect and pricing information.
Optional Pre-Trip Description & Overall Trip Pricing
Spanish Immersion And A Taste Of Costa Rica — February 4-7, 2018
Interested in working on your Spanish before the Wonderful Women 13 Adventure begins?
Would you like a head start on getting acquainted with Tico culture?
Why not do both?
Personalized Spanish language immersion program
Join us for a language and culture program customized by Personalized Spanish School, a small boutique school in the community of Tres Rios, just outside of San Jose. Personalized Spanish and I have collaborated on more than a dozen programs since 2010. In your two and a half days, you’ll have Spanish classes, related programming, stay with a host family and experience local culture, and get a jump start on your Spanish before the official trip begins!
- Small classes – three students maximum.
- University-educated instructors who teach to your level of Spanish and learning style.
- Cultural activities including a visit to Chieton Moren, an indigenous museum and fair trade gallery..
- Homestays with Tico families allowing you practice your Spanish in real life situations.
- Typical foods, including delicious tropical fruits and refrescos.
- School facilities include free wi-fi and unlimited international calls.
Program Timing: Arrive Sunday, February 4, and stay through noon, Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Wonderful Women 13 Trip: Reserved BEFORE October 15, 2017
Wonderful Women 13 Trip: Reserved AFTER October 15, 2017
Wonderful Women 13 trip price includes:
- Experienced bilingual guides
- Accommodations and all but four meals (three lunches and one dinner)
- All activities and entrance fees, unless noted as optional in the itinerary
- Travel medical insurance
Wonderful Women 13 Trip Price DOES NOT include:
- International travel to San Jose, Costa Rica and return from Managua, Nicaragua
- Transportation to the Tres Rios hotel on arrival day and to Managua’s Augusto Sandino International Airport
- “A Spanish Immersion and Taste of Costa Rica” pre-trip and other activities noted as optional in the itinerary
- Three lunches and one dinner
- Gratuities for our primary Costa Rican and Nicaraguan guides, drivers and lodging staff
- Alcoholic beverages and personal purchases.
Optional Pre-Trip – Spanish Immersion/Taste of Costa Rica:
Program #1: Small group classes, cultural activities $495
Program #2: Small group classes, cultural activities, one hour private instruction $530
Optional Pre-Trip Price includes:
- Airport pick-up and transfer to your home stay;
- Choice of small group Spanish classes and cultural activities or small group classes, cultural activities, and one hour of private instruction.
- Home stays (three nights; breakfast and dinner; laundry service)
- All other activities associated with this program except three lunches, public bus transportation, and transfer to Hyatt Place San Jose/Pinares on February 7, 2017.
A small portion of participant registration fees will be contributed to Planet Conservation’s community projects in Costa Rica.